[tex-hyphen] hyphenmins in latex formats

Jörg Knappen jknappen at web.de
Sun Mar 21 08:25:17 CET 2010

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org>
Gesendet: Mar 21, 2010 1:22:44 AM
An: tex-hyphen at tug.org
Betreff: Re: [tex-hyphen] hyphenmins in latex formats

>    needs to specify hyphenmins by hand for each language.
>
>Specifically, it's a declaration in the .ldf files, right?

Yes, but the necessary command is already provided in babel's hyphen.cfg. It is
\providehyphenmins{<language>}{<values>}

and a typical use in the ldf file looks like
\providehyphenmins{\CurrentOption}{\tw@\tw@}

This definition is made before language.dat is loaded. Thus it is available at that point.

>    prefer if all latex formats would provide the default hyphenmin values
>    for all languages whose patterns are compiled in the format.

In principle this is possible with the means that are already there, the only thing is
to know the \CurrentOption value, which is possible by standardisation.

>So polyglossia (for example :) can use them, instead of duplicating the
>settings?  I'm just trying to understand ...
>
>    #2 2
>
>I'd be tempted to use a control sequence instead of a special character.
>
>    not sure about the chances of it being integrated officially into Babel.
>    What are your views on this?
>
>Although it makes sense in principle, I have doubts that such a change
>would be accepted in LaTeX 2e Babel, when other much less radical
>changes have been rejected.

If I understand the issue right there is no need for a change in LaTeX here.

>However, I encourage you to submit a bug (enhancement) report to the
>latex bugs database about it.  That is the best way I know to get the
>LaTeX team members to look at an issue (though there is no guarantee, of
>course).  Sending email to latex-l or any other list (let alone
>any individual) does not have the same effect.
>
>Best,
>Karl

--J"org Knappen