[tex-hyphen] hyphenmins in latex formats

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Mar 21 01:22:44 CET 2010

    needs to specify hyphenmins by hand for each language.

Specifically, it's a declaration in the .ldf files, right?

    prefer if all latex formats would provide the default hyphenmin values
    for all languages whose patterns are compiled in the format.

So polyglossia (for example :) can use them, instead of duplicating the
settings?  I'm just trying to understand ...

    #2 2

I'd be tempted to use a control sequence instead of a special character.

    not sure about the chances of it being integrated officially into Babel.
    What are your views on this?

Although it makes sense in principle, I have doubts that such a change
would be accepted in LaTeX 2e Babel, when other much less radical
changes have been rejected.

However, I encourage you to submit a bug (enhancement) report to the
latex bugs database about it.  That is the best way I know to get the
LaTeX team members to look at an issue (though there is no guarantee, of
course).  Sending email to latex-l or any other list (let alone
any individual) does not have the same effect.

Best,
Karl