[tex-hyphen] tamil and malayalam

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Mar 21 00:02:18 CET 2010

On 20-3-2010 23:38, Karl Berry wrote:

>      LaTeX decided to enable all the patterns, it became noticably slower
>
> Strange, I don't experience that at all.  (And can't see how loading
> extra patterns could conceivably matter to normal document processing
> time.  Unless you're talking about lualatex.)

for context:

more pattern result in slower generation of the format (in pdftex a bit
slower as there the utf is to be interpreted); this might also lead to
slower loading of the (then bigger) format (depends how well the OS
cached files for succesive runs)

in mkiv patterns are loaded on demand; even loading all patterns in
luatex is no big deal as it uses a different representation

Hans