[tex-hyphen] tamil and malayalam

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Mar 20 23:38:02 CET 2010

    The 12 new patterns are not particularly big: one file is several
    thousand lines and the eleven others in the order of hundred.

Sounds ok.

     (but we won't go that way).

Right, let's not go that way.

    Mongolian is one of the cases where we

If we have to.

    - one author (of the old patterns) wants to have automatic
    transliteration (he types in latin alphabet and wants the
    corresponding cyrillic glyphs in the resulting document) which is
    probably only possible with the proper font, but there's hardly any
    font in that encoding present (LMC);

I've never heard of LMC.

How is the author using these patterns now, ie, what font?  If the
font(s) he is using is/are not in TL, we could forget it.

    LaTeX decided to enable all the patterns, it became noticably slower

Strange, I don't experience that at all.  (And can't see how loading
extra patterns could conceivably matter to normal document processing
time.  Unless you're talking about lualatex.)

    PS: I took a look into OpenOffice patterns again. Astonishingly many
    have been further developed, so we have different patterns in many
    more languages than I have imagened earlier.

OOO doesn't have to care for compatibility, so they can make changes
willy-nilly, I surmise.  (I have no solution for the general problem of
pattern versioning, aside from what is being done for German.)

Thanks,