[tex-hyphen] German patterns in TL2010

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 01:44:53 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 14:42, Stephan Hennig wrote:

> What about generating language.dat from language.dat.lua, if the latter file
> exists (by fmtutil)?

I'm not sure that I understand how this is supposed to be done.

There are all kinds of problems connected with that:
- Most important: How should the system know when language.dat needs
to be regenerated? Which script would generate that and what should
MikTeX do?
- What should happen in MikTeX which has a gui to choose languages;
and then someone edits language.dat.lua, possibly making some typos?
How can MikTeX know that it needs to modify the configuration once
somebody touches language.dat.lua? [let's forget for a moment that
luatex is not out yet]
- language.dat.lua could contain a large number of languages and
patterns that are not even compatible with pdfTeX (one could control
that with an additional option of course).
- Which problem would you solve/simplify with that?

> I guess, I'm not a big fan of the top-level
> configuration files being distribution specific (.tlp*).

Before that simply all the patterns have been loaded. Is that a better option?

The only alternative approach that I see would be if we would ship the
same information as tlpsrc files in somewhere in hyph-utf8 and then
tlmgr would read that file before executing AddHyphen directive; that
way it wouldn't need to know the information about specific files in
advance (but it would add quite some complexity).

MikTeX has a gui for selecting languages. Honestly, I have no idea how
it works when we add a language or when we modify something (but
language names are supposed to be more or less stable).