[tex-hyphen] dehyph-exptl v0.20 RC1 (experimental German patterns)

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 20:35:54 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 20:15, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Mo, 15 Jun 2009, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> > The pattern files are meant for inclusion into the hyph-utf8 package.
>> > I'd be happy to see that happen magically :) (after the release) with
>> > the proper renaming.  Swiss patterns still suffer Babel (and
>> > Polyglossia?) support, but they should be in hyph-utf8 nonetheless, I think.
>>
>> I happily leave the pattern naming decision to Arthur.
>>
>> Stephan: what are your plans about babel/polyglossia? Do Swiss German
>> patterns need their own entry in TeX Live/MikTeX configuration as
>> well? If the answer is yes: should one wait for Babel/Polyglossia
>> support first before adding a new entry?
>>
>> Adding the patterns to hyph-utf8 is not too strictly related to adding
>> an entry to TL. We can add the patterns in any case, it's just the
>> question of ease of use.
>
> Please put them into hyph-utf8 and I will add the respective lines for
> experimental German patterns into the resp. tlpsrc file.
>
> What are the names we should use?
>        ngerman-expl
> ?
>
> (I myself want to have them ...)

I think the question wasn't about "experimental" patterns - we already
have them in hyph-utf8 since the beginning and they are loaded in
XeTeX/LuaTeX by default.

Apart from that there's a special package that should enable switching
to timestamped German patterns (don't know the details).

For 8-bit we didn't dare to do the change (even though I don't believe
that many would notice it in the first place) and left the old
patterns (so we have old (t1, texnansi and 8r) and new && traditional
and reformed && german and swiss german && timestamped). && usually
means multiplication, not addition :) :) :)

I was talking about adding or not adding Swiss German (pattern file
most probably bearing the name similar to hyph-de-ch-1901, right?).