[tex-hyphen] dehyph-exptl v0.20 RC1 (experimental German patterns)

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Jun 15 20:44:10 CEST 2009

On Mo, 15 Jun 2009, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> I think the question wasn't about "experimental" patterns - we already
> have them in hyph-utf8 since the beginning and they are loaded in
> XeTeX/LuaTeX by default.

Ah, ok. But not into latex or etex based formats, right?

> Apart from that there's a special package that should enable switching
> to timestamped German patterns (don't know the details).

But that should be done on package level, and not on hyphenation, i.e.
\language level, right?

> For 8-bit we didn't dare to do the change (even though I don't believe

Which change? From 8bit to UTF8?

> means multiplication, not addition :) :) :)

Oh hell, yes we German-speakers are horrible. I would vote for
abolishing all old variants, but I would get slaughtered in some German
regions (and from many German newspapers) sticking to the old form.

> I was talking about adding or not adding Swiss German (pattern file
> most probably bearing the name similar to hyph-de-ch-1901, right?).

Ok, well, Swiss ... funny ... ;-)))))

I would propose that we standardize "Weanarisch" as the standard German
in all the German speaking countries. That would solve the problem once
and for all, and, well, it is at then end the only real German.

Pfiat eich

Norbert