[tex-hyphen] Bulgarian hyphenation patterns

Georgi Boshnakov georgi.boshnakov at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Jun 29 15:57:39 CEST 2008

Hello Mojca,

> We are preparing new hyphenation patterns in UTF-8 for basically all
> the languages for which hyphenation patterns exist.

Thank you for informing me. I have been using utf8 for multi-language
typesetting in recent years and wondered when it will become native to
TeX.

> We are still
> having some issues with Cyrillic patterns, and we should have written
> you a longer introduction to the project, but I felt a need to write
> you right a way at the moment when I saw this sentence in your
> documentation:
>   "MikTeX replaces my hyphenation patterns with different ones which
> seem not to work."

No need to worry. My patterns work.
The problem at the time was that at some point in time my patterns
were put at a wrong place in the MikTeX distribution, while other
patterns  (which were not working) were put at the right place. This
was resolved in a matter of hours after I uploaded the hyphenation
stuff separately.

I subsequently removed the note quoted by you, or so I believe (I will
check though).

> MikTeX has replaced the patterns recently (that is - one week ago)
> with ours (though we didn't get any feedback so far, and I'm not using
> MikTeX, so I have no idea if they work).

I will check and come back to you.
It is amusing that two days ago I uploaded the patterns on CTAN (the
only change was the encoding to ^^xx etc.).

> And we would like to put the patterns to TeX Live 2008, so it would be
> great if we had your confirmation that patterns indeed work OK:
>     http://tug.ctan.org/cgi-bin/ctanPackageInformation.py?id=hyph-utf8
>     http://www.tug.org/svn/texhyphen/trunk/hyph-utf8/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/
>
> You need to load loadhyph-bg.tex in language.dat and then use Babel as
> usual. (You can contact me if you need detailed information about how
> to test the patterns.) If you want make sure that everything works as
> expected in the next couple of years in contrast to apparently broken
> patterns at the moment, please reply ASAP. DVDs will be out in the
> second half of July (subtract at least two weeks for printing them).
>
> loadhyph-bg.tex will load the converter from Unicode to t2a first and
> then load the patterns in UTF-8 encoding. When used with XeTeX or
> LuaTeX, the pattern will be loaded in UTF-8 directly.
> (The changes were needed in order to support new generation of TeX
> engines with native UTF-8 support.)
>
> Also, if we get your blessing, it would be nice to update your
> documentation to mention the changes (which will hopefully become
> upstream in both MikTeX and TeX Live), maybe to change the copyright
> note on top of our files, or even put your documentation into our
> repository (if you want that).

Could you give me a pointer as to how to get permission to upload
files in the repository?

> One last question - are your patterns ever used with any other
> encoding apart from t2a?

I am quite sure that that the answer is NO. I get regular emails about
various issues about LaTeX-ing Bulgarian texts but never had a request
to supply support for another internal encoding.

> Should they be? (I'm praying to get a "no"
> response from you.)

I don't envisage trouble in this area.
(unless T2a is not a mainstream internal encoding for cyrillic anymore
and is not fully supported, Vladimir may have something to say here).

Best,
Georgi