[tex-hyphen] Bulgarian hyphenation patterns

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 12:58:32 CEST 2008

Hello Georgi,

We are preparing new hyphenation patterns in UTF-8 for basically all
the languages for which hyphenation patterns exist. We are still
having some issues with Cyrillic patterns, and we should have written
you a longer introduction to the project, but I felt a need to write
you right a way at the moment when I saw this sentence in your
documentation:
  "MikTeX replaces my hyphenation patterns with different ones which
seem not to work."

MikTeX has replaced the patterns recently (that is - one week ago)
with ours (though we didn't get any feedback so far, and I'm not using
MikTeX, so I have no idea if they work).

And we would like to put the patterns to TeX Live 2008, so it would be
great if we had your confirmation that patterns indeed work OK:
    http://tug.ctan.org/cgi-bin/ctanPackageInformation.py?id=hyph-utf8
    http://www.tug.org/svn/texhyphen/trunk/hyph-utf8/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/

You need to load loadhyph-bg.tex in language.dat and then use Babel as
usual. (You can contact me if you need detailed information about how
to test the patterns.) If you want make sure that everything works as
expected in the next couple of years in contrast to apparently broken
patterns at the moment, please reply ASAP. DVDs will be out in the
second half of July (subtract at least two weeks for printing them).

loadhyph-bg.tex will load the converter from Unicode to t2a first and
then load the patterns in UTF-8 encoding. When used with XeTeX or
LuaTeX, the pattern will be loaded in UTF-8 directly.
(The changes were needed in order to support new generation of TeX
engines with native UTF-8 support.)

Also, if we get your blessing, it would be nice to update your
documentation to mention the changes (which will hopefully become
upstream in both MikTeX and TeX Live), maybe to change the copyright
note on top of our files, or even put your documentation into our
repository (if you want that).

One last question - are your patterns ever used with any other
encoding apart from t2a? Should they be? (I'm praying to get a "no"
response from you.)

Thanks a lot,