[tex-hyphen] .dat file discrepancies

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Sun Jun 15 02:59:08 CEST 2008

> I don't understand.  Are you saying there is no official assigned two
> letter code for British?  I am amazed.

  Of course not.  I'm surprised you would think otherwise: British is
not a language, it's English as it is spoken in Britain, and should be
tagged as such.  I mean, the only relevant *language* code for it would
be 'en' for English, and if you need to distinguish it from American or
Australian English, you would have to use a country code.  I did quite a
lot of research about it, and found out that the only existant standard
that has provisions to tag every variant we need to tag is IETF "Best
Current Practice" 47, currently RFC 4646 and 4647, which I already
discussed on this list.

  Anyway, since a discussion has started on the exact same subject on
the TeX Live list, I will probably post some (extremely) long
description there.

	Arthur

P-S: Good luck with the end of the TeX Live build cycle ... every second
e-mail I receive those days is from Karl Berry :-)