[tex-eplain] Is there a list of fonts usable by TeX alone, or aTeX command to return names?

Laurence.Finston at gmx.net Laurence.Finston at gmx.net
Wed Oct 25 22:48:02 CEST 2023

> I had even heard of "The Art of Computer Programming" in a vauge way, before I knew anything about TeX/LaTeX and Don Knuth, and I'm sure it covers much fascinating ground.

_The Art of Computer Programming_ is (currently) a work of three complete volumes and a fourth, partially completed volume on the mathematical analysis of algorithms.  It is one of the most important works on the subject of algorithms and a classic in the field of computer science.  More volumes are planned, as the field of algorithms has expanded a lot since Knuth started work on this several decades ago.

Knuth developed TeX and METAFONT because Addison-Wesley, his publisher, got rid of the Monotype typesetting machine they had used for the first volumes (or volume?) of TAOCP and Knuth was very disappointed with the appearance of the proofs for the volume that was due to be printed at that time.

TeX and METAFONT would have been enough to make another person's reputation, but to the best of my knowledge, for Knuth they were really more of a distraction from what he considers to be his real work, i.e., teaching and writing TAOCP.  This is unfortunate in a way, because TeX and METAFONT have been more or less left to fend for themselves, but that's the way it is.

I own the first three volumes but they are rather demanding works to read and I'm a programmer rather than a computer scientist, so I'm sorry to say that I will probably never read them.