[tex-eplain] accents problem in pdf generated by eplain

Laurence Finston Laurence.Finston at gmx.de
Fri Jan 21 04:14:06 CET 2022

This is the contents of dtemp.tex:

\input eplain

\font\rm=ecrm1000
\rm
th{\char233}orie

\bye

These are the commands run:

tex dtemp && dvips -o dtemp.ps dtemp.dvi && ps2pdf dtemp.ps

The results are in the attached screenshots.  In evince, both {\'e} and é are searchable with é.  However, strangely, the orange box only covers half of the é resulting from {\'e}.  In Firefox, only é is searchable.

Since it obviously works, I haven't tested with pdftex, luatex, xetex ...