[tex-eplain] What .ist file should I use for pdftex?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Sep 14 23:24:09 CEST 2015

Hi John,

    Subject: [tex-eplain] What  .ist file should I use for pdftex?

I assume you're talking about makeindex's .ist files.

I'm not aware of any changes in either makeindex or eplain in this
regard in many years.  On the other hand, I don't remember ever hearing
of plaintex.ist specifically before, either.  Or testing .ist files with
Eplain in general.

I don't think it should be necessary to specify any .ist file at all.
As I expect you already know, the indexing support in Eplain is
described in the manual.  It doesn't mention .ist files.

If there is a bug somewhere, please send an example I can run.

best,

P.S. Helmut, I haven't forgotten about your bug.  TUGboat has
intervened.  I'll get to it ...