[tex-eplain] Eplain 3.0 announcement

Oleg Katsitadze geolsoft at mail.ru
Fri Sep 23 12:06:23 CEST 2005

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 10:26:46AM +0200, Stepan Kasal wrote:
> I thought that someone might have another default paper size...

I see what you mean.  This would certainly screw up the

I guess there is no reliable way to precompile the indexes
for the user, unless they use the same paper size that was
used for the precompiled index files.

The big problem with including the indexes in tarballs is
that if the user has another default size, and runs `tex
eplain.tex' instead of texi2dvi, they will happily create a
.dvi of their preferred paper size, never knowing that the
index is wrong.  IMHO this is very bad.

We can declare that running `tex eplain.texi' is `not
supported' and the user should use texi2dvi, but then there
is no sense in including the indexes, users would be able to
build them themselves.

Therefore I'd prefer not to distribute the indexes at all.
What do you think?

> Gerard has mailed me privately.  I answered to the list, hoping that he
> will forgive me.  The question was clear from the part I quoted in my mail.
> It didn't come to my mind that it could confuse other readers.
>
> I apologize, Oleg.

No problem.  The main thing is that no mail was lost :).

Thanks,
Oleg