[pstricks] Does the update cause the difference in the files

Sun Jun 5 08:49:20 CEST 2011

Am 05.06.2011 04:11, schrieb Michael Sharpe:

> There was a change in pst-plot.tex after the initial 2010 TeX Live distribution, which changed the behavior of labels in cases such as you describe. I reloaded my 2008 and 2009 TeX Live distributions and verified that the behavior is now different. Until Herbert has researched this and provided a fix, here is a method that does not involve editing hundreds of files. Search your current distribution for a file named pstricks.con. (kpsewhich pstricks.con will tell you the path.) Open it in a text editor which can edit system files (after you authorize it, of course)---for example TextWrangler (free) from bbedit.com.  There is a customization section into which you should insert the following:

no, it was the old behaviour of pst-plot, that ticks and
labels are two different things. The bug was introduced
with pstricks-add, which modified the settings of pst-plot.
The buggy changes then moved later back into pst-plot and where
fixed some time ago!

> \pstcustomize
> \AtBeginDocument{%
>    \ifx\PSTplotLoaded\endinput %
>      \define at key[psset]{pst-plot}{ticks}[all]{%
>      \pst at expandafter\psset@@ticks{#1}\@nil\psk at ticks%
>      \pst at expandafter\psset@@ticks{#1}\@nil\psk at labels}
>    \fi}%
> \endinput
>
> The effect is that every time you load pstricks, that block is input, and if pst-plot has been loaded by the end of the preamble, you will redefine 'ticks' so that it changes 'labels' to the same value. Make a note of what you did so that you remember to remove everything up to  \endinput when a fix is provided.

this is one of the different possibilities. I would prefer
a search and replace to be compatible with the current
behaviour of the pstricks files. With Perl and "a one liner"
it is possible to modify *.tex-files in all directories.

Am 04.06.2011 23:28, schrieb David Arnold:

 > \psaxes[arrowscale=1.5,arrows=<->,ticks=none](0,0)(-11,-11)(11,11)
 > And your suggestion:
 >
 > \psaxes[arrowscale=1.5,arrows=<->,
 >     Dx=10,Dy=10](0,0)(-11,-11)(11,11)[$x$,0][$y$,90]

that was only a general remark, that you can save a lot of code
lines ...

 > I guess I still need to know, is it the update on my colleague's
machine (later versions of pstricks) that cause his image to be
different from mine? I still don't know the answer as to why we are
getting different output.

your colleague has the correct files and you have the one with
the bug!

 > This is a really big deal for us, as an update that causes this
different output is an immense worry. We literally have hundreds of
files that we would have to fix.

I am sorry, but as I always said and wrote in the preamble of the
documentation, using pstricks-add is "leaving on the edge". It
contains mostly experimental code which may later move back into
the corresponding packages.