[pstricks] Native speaker needed

Dougherty, Michael michael.dougherty at swosu.edu
Sat Aug 19 16:41:28 CEST 2006

Unfortunately Herbert you'll probably have differing opinions on this, especially since this is an international list, and most of us probably think of ourselves as writers to some extent.  It's a bit like debating the use of the semicolon (;).  I had an editor insist that you talk about "the solution to an equation," where you almost always see "the solution of an equation" elsewhere.

I disagree with Vince here (not strongly), and am used to a and b being "the coordinates" of the point (a,b), but as mathematicians we often think of (a,b) being a point in R^2, and thus think of (a,b) as being a single entity.  I think the nonmathematician scientist (in the US) would talk of "the coordinates" of the point (a,b), while mathematicians do not worry about thinking of (a,b) as being a single coordinate whose value happens to be in R^2.  The nonmathematician sees two numbers, while the mathematician can see one element of R^2 and does not mind using the singular.  Just my opinion, and opinions will certainly vary from person to person and country to country.  Of course I hope you take my advice ;-) Or take a poll?  (That would be more work than it is worth.)

--Mike D.