[pstricks] Native speaker needed

McGarry Vince vmcgarry at austin.rr.com
Sat Aug 19 15:40:07 CEST 2006

Herbert,

For the first, "there is a coordinate;" for the second. "there are
two coordinates."

The ordered pair (3,3) is a coordinate; the ordered pairs (1,1) and
(3,3) are two coordinates. A coordinate is a set of n real numbers to
indicate a point in R^n.

But will readers know what you are saying if you use the phrases in
your email? I would have to say yes. Although not precisely correct,
I can't image a native speaker not knowing what you mean. My sense of
it is that your wording is very common and people often refer to the
individual numbers in the n-tuple as coordinates, using phrases like
``the coordinates of the point are (3,5)'' when the phrase should be
``the coordinate of the point is (3,5).''

Vince