[pstricks] Re: pstricks-packages in MiKTeX

jmpapy Jean-Michel.Papy at esat.kuleuven.ac.be
Fri Jul 9 14:19:50 CEST 2004

Quoting Uwe Kern <u.kern at web.de>:

> Herbert Voss <Herbert.Voss at alumni.TU-Berlin.DE> schrieb am 09.07.04
> 08:14:23:
> >
> > > D:\texmf\latex\generic\pstricks\pst-gr3d\pst-gr3d.sty
> > > (a strange path, also violating TDS)
> > >
> > > D:\texmf\tex\latex\pst-blur
> > > D:\texmf\tex\latex\pst-lens
> > > D:\texmf\tex\latex\pst-poly
> > > D:\texmf\tex\latex\pst-slpe
> > >
> > > but
> > >
> > > D:\texmf\tex\latex\pstricks\pst-ghsb
> > > D:\texmf\tex\latex\pstricks\pst-osci
> > >
> > > and all the remaining styles in
> > >
> > > D:\texmf\tex\latex\pstricks
> > >

> > the problem is that PSTricks is a TeX based bundle of macros.
> > And in fact of some historical reason there are some packegaes
> > which are defined as basic and some others. Every so called
> > PSTricks package has a TeX and a LaTeX file and some an additional
> > PostScript file. The LaTeX file is only a
> > wrapper for the TeX file, except pstricks.sty.
> >
> > So you have have different options where to place the files,
> > into the default latex package directory or the generic one.
> >
> > - Should the files saved together in one directory,
> > - should the basic ones keeped together in one dir, but
> >    with or without the LaTeX files
> > - and what do we do with the prolog files *.pro
>
> First of all, I was only seeking for consistence - which is not
> present yet.
>
> >From my perspective, the most convenient way is:
> put things together that belong together, i.e. everything into
> texmf\tex\generic\pstricks
> with a subdirectory for each pst-* package.
>
> Besides that, it is definitely a bad idea to put pst-gr3d.sty into
> texmf\latex\generic\pstricks\pst-gr3d
> because this path is not at all compatible with TDS (there is no
> top-level
> directory `latex'), without adding any value to the user.
>
> > You can do what you want, it is in every way not the best one.
>
> Right, but we should not make simple things too complicated without
> gaining anything.
>
> Uwe

Actually that's a good point that you noticed that the installation of
the pstrick package was not made correctly by the MiKTeX wizard. I
should also check whether I have multiple files.

Properly installing pstricks requires you put manually

  -the tex files in texmf\tex\generic\pstricks\
  -the sty files in texmf\tex\latex\pstricks\
  -the pro files in texmf\dvips\pstricks\

Do that for the latest version of pstricks even if it is a little
boring.
Then, since normally an update concerns a few files at a time, it is
quite easy to maintain your pstricks package up-to-date. As you know the
important updates are notified by Herbert.

It is not always possible that things go on without problems ;-)

regards

JM