[pstricks] Re: pstricks-packages in MiKTeX

Uwe Kern u.kern at web.de
Fri Jul 9 12:50:49 CEST 2004

Herbert Voss <Herbert.Voss at alumni.TU-Berlin.DE> schrieb am 09.07.04 08:14:23:

> > D:\texmf\latex\generic\pstricks\pst-gr3d\pst-gr3d.sty
> > (a strange path, also violating TDS)
> >
> > D:\texmf\tex\latex\pst-blur
> > D:\texmf\tex\latex\pst-lens
> > D:\texmf\tex\latex\pst-poly
> > D:\texmf\tex\latex\pst-slpe
> >
> > but
> >
> > D:\texmf\tex\latex\pstricks\pst-ghsb
> > D:\texmf\tex\latex\pstricks\pst-osci
> >
> > and all the remaining styles in
> >
> > D:\texmf\tex\latex\pstricks
> >

> the problem is that PSTricks is a TeX based bundle of macros.
> And in fact of some historical reason there are some packegaes
> which are defined as basic and some others. Every so called
> PSTricks package has a TeX and a LaTeX file and some an additional
> PostScript file. The LaTeX file is only a
> wrapper for the TeX file, except pstricks.sty.
>
> So you have have different options where to place the files,
> into the default latex package directory or the generic one.
>
> - Should the files saved together in one directory,
> - should the basic ones keeped together in one dir, but
>    with or without the LaTeX files
> - and what do we do with the prolog files *.pro

First of all, I was only seeking for consistence - which is not present yet.

>From my perspective, the most convenient way is:
put things together that belong together, i.e. everything into
texmf\tex\generic\pstricks
with a subdirectory for each pst-* package.

Besides that, it is definitely a bad idea to put pst-gr3d.sty into
texmf\latex\generic\pstricks\pst-gr3d
because this path is not at all compatible with TDS (there is no top-level
directory `latex'), without adding any value to the user.

> You can do what you want, it is in every way not the best one.

Right, but we should not make simple things too complicated without gaining anything.

Uwe