[pstricks] pstricks-packages in MiKTeX

Herbert Voss Herbert.Voss at alumni.TU-Berlin.DE
Fri Jul 9 08:14:16 CEST 2004

Uwe Kern wrote:
> After installing the most recent pstricks version and the related packages, I noticed that the
> single packages are located in a not quite systematic way:
>
> D:\texmf\latex\generic\pstricks\pst-gr3d\pst-gr3d.sty
> (a strange path, also violating TDS)
>
> D:\texmf\tex\latex\pst-blur
> D:\texmf\tex\latex\pst-lens
> D:\texmf\tex\latex\pst-poly
> D:\texmf\tex\latex\pst-slpe
>
> but
>
> D:\texmf\tex\latex\pstricks\pst-ghsb
> D:\texmf\tex\latex\pstricks\pst-osci
>
> and all the remaining styles in
>
> D:\texmf\tex\latex\pstricks
>
> I don't know whether all of these packages have been uploaded individually
> by their authors/maintainers, or collectively, so I would suggest here to consolidate
> the distribution of pst* packages in a way that makes it easier to find single
> packages.

the problem is that PSTricks is a TeX based bundle of macros.
And in fact of some historical reason there are some packegaes
which are defined as basic and some others. Every so called
PSTricks package has a TeX and a LaTeX file and some an additional
PostScript file. The LaTeX file is only a
wrapper for the TeX file, except pstricks.sty.

So you have have different options where to place the files,
into the default latex package directory or the generic one.

- Should the files saved together in one directory,
- should the basic ones keeped together in one dir, but
   with or without the LaTeX files
- and what do we do with the prolog files *.pro

You can do what you want, it is in every way not the best one.

http://TeXnik.de/
http://PSTricks.de/
ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/info/math/voss/Voss-Mathmode.pdf
http://www.dante.de/faq/de-tex-faq/
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?introduction=yes