[pstricks] correct display (circuits and optic)

Herbert Voss Herbert.Voss at alumni.TU-Berlin.DE
Sat May 17 09:13:23 CEST 2003

Patrick Drechsler schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> having to display circuits and optics I'm wondering if there are
> conventions similar to the SI-system on using different symbols.
>
> 1. Circuits (pst-circ): All the papers I've read so far make a
>    difference between
>
> (a)
>     _____
>  --|_____|--
>
> and
>
> (b)
>  __/\/\/\___
>

> There's also the form with a diagonal arrow (=active sensor
> i.g. strain gauge) for both.
>
> I haven't seen version (b) in the pst-circ nor in the pst-usrx
> documentation. Is this symbol: incorrect, a real synonym, or just so
> simple to create with pstricks that I haven't considered the idea...?
>
> Is it difficult to include the diagonal arrow?

no, can easily be extended to another ones.

 > Furthermore I've never seen the symbols which are produced by '\Icc'
 > and '\Ucc' before (not a real excuse, but I'm a biologist, not a
 > physicist :>). I'm used to the symbol which measures I and U - a
 > circle with diagonal arrow. To me this is another indicator that there
 > must be some 'display rules' which I'm not aware of (pointer?).

they are not really used in Germany. We still use
the battery symbol or a circle with a symbol inside.
http://www.perce.de/LaTeX/pst-circ/

 > 2. Optics (pst-optic): same situation... it appears that there are no
 >    conventions. I'm trying to display the way light travels through a
 >    reflection interference contrast light microscope. Even physicist
 >    use different symbols to display the setup... Two examples: How do
 >    display one beam which is linear polarized and on the way back
 >    turned by pi? Same question for circular polarized light (clockwise
 >    vs. counterclockwise).

I do not really understand what you are looking for. Can
you please give some more informations or point me to a
graphic where I can see what you are missing?

Herbert

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{pst-circ050203}
%
\makeatletter
\newif\ifPst at circ@variable
\define at key{psset}{variable}[false]{\@nameuse{Pst at circ@variable#1}}
%
\let\pst at draw@resistorOld\pst at draw@resistor
\def\pst at draw@resistor{%
   \pst at draw@resistorOld
   \ifPst at circ@variable%
     \psline{->}(-0.5,-0.55)(0.5,0.55)%
   \fi
}
%
\let\pst at draw@coilOld\pst at draw@coil
\def\pst at draw@coil{%
   \pst at draw@coilOld%
   \ifPst at circ@variable%
     \psline{->}(-0.75,-0.3)(0.75,0.8)%
   \fi
}
\makeatother
%
\begin {document}
\begin{pspicture}(-2,-2)(2,2)
   \psgrid[subgriddiv=0, griddots=5]
   \pnode(-2,-1){A}
   \pnode(2,-1){B}
   \resistor[variable=true](A)(B){$R$}
   \pnode(-2,1){C}
   \pnode(2,1){D}
   \coil[variable=true](C)(D){$L$}
\end{pspicture}

\vspace{1cm}
\begin{pspicture}(7,4.5)
   \pnode(0,0){A}\pnode(5,0){B}
   \pnode(0,4){C}\pnode(5,4){D}
   \Ucc[labeloffset=1.1](A)(C){$e(t)$}
\multidipole(C)(D)\coil[variable=true]{$L$}\resistor[intensitylabel=$i(t)$]{$R$}.
   \resistor[variable=true](D)(B){$R$}
   \wire(A)(B)
   \capacitor[parallel](D)(B){$C$}