[pstricks] correct display (circuits and optic)

Patrick Drechsler patrick.drechsler at gmx.net
Mon May 19 10:01:42 CEST 2003

Hi Herbert,

Herbert Voss wrote on 17 May 2003 08:13:23 MET:

> Patrick Drechsler schrieb:

> > Is it difficult to include the diagonal arrow?
>
> no, can easily be extended to another ones.

Thanks for the code! But I didn't mean the coil symbol. Actually I'm
looking for a symbol as in Fig.3 in:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/C83E9B93DE714DB08625686600704DB1/$File/AN078.pdf

--> more a zigzag line instead of a coil.

>  > I'm used to the symbol which measures I and U - a circle with
>  > diagonal arrow.

> they are not really used in Germany. We still use the battery symbol
> or a circle with a symbol inside.
> http://www.perce.de/LaTeX/pst-circ/

Thanks for the link! Together with the code you posted I should be
able to create the symbol I was looking for.

>  >  How do I display one beam which is linear polarized and on the
>  >  way back turned by pi? Same question for circular polarized
>  >  light (clockwise vs. counterclockwise).
>
> I do not really understand what you are looking for. Can
> you please give some more informations or point me to a
> graphic where I can see what you are missing?

Sorry for not beeing precise enough. I would like to draw a linear
polarized beam [A] which passes through an objective with a lambda/4
filter. This beam then becomes circular polarized (i.g. clockwise) [B]
and gets reflected from the object of interest. This reflected ray is
now polarized counterclockwise [C]. After it passes the lambda/4 plate
again the beam is turned by 90 degrees [D] and can pass an analyser.

I'm looking for a way to have these different rays [A-D] displayed
differently. So far I have seen different methods:

- F.ex. dashed and solid lines for [A and B], double lines/double
  dashed lines [C and B];

- Solid lines with an arrow crossing the line [A]. The direction of
  the arrow changes is the polarization changes [B].

- Using different colors (I'd like to stick to black and white
  though).

Are there any rules that apply to this kind of display?

Or should I just go with something that suits me best?

TIA,

Patrick
--
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white
guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the Swiss hold the America's Cup,