[pstricks] correct display (circuits and optic)

Patrick Drechsler patrick.drechsler at gmx.net
Fri May 16 22:47:04 CEST 2003

Hi,

having to display circuits and optics I'm wondering if there are
conventions similar to the SI-system on using different symbols.

1. Circuits (pst-circ): All the papers I've read so far make a
   difference between

(a)
    _____
 --|_____|--

and

(b)
 __/\/\/\___

There's also the form with a diagonal arrow (=active sensor
i.g. strain gauge) for both.

I haven't seen version (b) in the pst-circ nor in the pst-usrx
documentation. Is this symbol: incorrect, a real synonym, or just so
simple to create with pstricks that I haven't considered the idea...?

Is it difficult to include the diagonal arrow?

Furthermore I've never seen the symbols which are produced by '\Icc'
and '\Ucc' before (not a real excuse, but I'm a biologist, not a
physicist :>). I'm used to the symbol which measures I and U - a
circle with diagonal arrow. To me this is another indicator that there
must be some 'display rules' which I'm not aware of (pointer?).

Are there thoughts about including something like '\UIcc'?

2. Optics (pst-optic): same situation... it appears that there are no
   conventions. I'm trying to display the way light travels through a
   reflection interference contrast light microscope. Even physicist
   use different symbols to display the setup... Two examples: How do I
   display one beam which is linear polarized and on the way back
   turned by pi? Same question for circular polarized light (clockwise
   vs. counterclockwise).

Thankful for any pointers, examples ...

Patrick
--