[pracjourn-forum] Re: A weird error (and broader issues)

Peter Flynn pflynn at ucc.ie
Mon May 9 14:03:19 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 18:17, Peter Flom wrote:

> Regarding applied stats, are there any packages you've found useful?

When P-Stat introduced PostScript output for their major routines,
I tried -- unsuccessfully -- to persuade them to add [La]TeX output
for anything involving tabular matter (contingency tables, obviously,
but also a lot of other aligned output). In fact if I'd had the time
I would have done it myself, as larger customers got source code, and
in the process of adding PostScript they had already identified all
the places where formatting intervention would be required in between
the data.

In retrospect I'm glad I didn't, because what was really needed was
SGML or XML output, with a choice of HTML, CALS, or SAS models. All
of them can be converted to LaTeX to make them look respectable, but
can of course also be converted for web use and a lot of other things
as well.

///Peter