[pdftex] foreign letter in text

Aleks Kleyn Aleks_Kleyn at MailAPS.org
Tue Apr 23 17:02:17 CEST 2024

I use pdflatex since 2007, at that time windows notepad saved files in ANSI encoding. Sometimes when some symbol changed encoding to Unicode, pdflatex was unable to compile such files. So I was careful about this issue. Sometimes I use Russian symbols to make sure that compiler will remind me that I need to make changes in text for which I am not ready at current time. Sometimes I do translation to English later because I need to write original text faster.

So I added \usepackage[cp1251]{inputenc} as last usepackage macro and it does work for me. When I returned it to the beginning of text like it was originally I see that it does not work. In short example I did not see which macro cancels expected change. But at this time this is not important because I want to finish my text as soon as I can.

You wrote that pdflatex changed encoding few years ago. But I saw proper error messages even last winter. I use all years MikTeX. When I recently install TeXlive, I saw some problem in MikTeX so I uninstalled TeXlive. I have about 70 folders and few thousands files. I do not think that it is reasonable to spent time to change encoding. And what happens if somebody will make quietly another change which again destroy all previous work.

I appreciate your help.

Aleks Kleyn

 <http://alekskleyn.dyndns-home.com:4080/> http://alekskleyn.dyndns-home.com:4080/

 <http://sites.google.com/site/alekskleyn/> http://sites.google.com/site/AleksKleyn/