[pdftex] foreign letter in text

Aleks Kleyn Aleks_Kleyn at MailAPS.org
Mon Apr 22 01:12:35 CEST 2024

Yes, you right. I added all my \usepackage macros and still have proper output. The same time in my log file I see error
Missing character: There is no ... in font cmr10!
Instead of ... symbol which I cannot copy. But what I have found. When I open notepad, it creates file UTF-8. The files that I use for years are ANSI. I have about 2000 files. So I do not think I can convert files to UTF-8

Aleks Kleyn

-----Original Message-----
From: pdftex [mailto:pdftex-bounces+aleks_kleyn=mailaps.org at tug.org] On Behalf Of David Carlisle via pdftex
Sent: Sunday, April 21, 2024 3:01 PM
To: pdftex at tug.org
Subject: Re: [pdftex] foreign letter in text

On 21/04/2024 19:53, Aleks Kleyn wrote:

> When I prepare text in English, I usually write it on Russian and then
> translate it into English. But sometimes these operations for different
> reason are separated in time. Initially pdflatex printed in log which are
> not English. It was helpful to locate such letters and finish text. Now
> pdflatex prints some blank symbol instead of foreign letter. And how I can
> locate now foreign letter in text that has about 20 files?
>
> Aleks Kleyn

As you provided no example it is hard to know what you have done but you
should never get no output with no warning.

For example this document with (I hope:-) one Russian word left in an
English paragraph

\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

Some English  with a Русский word

\end{document}

Produces the error

! LaTeX Error: Unicode character Р (U+0420)
                not set up for use with LaTeX.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.5 Some English  with a Р
                            усский word
?

Which as you see, higlights the exact location of the Cyrillic text.

David

Disclaimer

The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 1249803. The registered office is: 30 St. Giles, Oxford, OX1 3LE, United Kingdom. Please see our Privacy Notice <https://www.nag.com/content/privacy-notice> for information on how we process personal data and for details of how to stop or limit communications from us.

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses and malware by Microsoft Exchange Online (EOP)