[pdftex] \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pdfstartlink

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Oct 24 23:16:43 CEST 2022

Hi Aleks - thanks for the report.

    \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pdfstartlink

I get the same fatal error with your source file, on the second run, on
page 276. (After making the many fonts needed.)

Unfortunately this is not something that can be fixed at the pdftex
level. pdftex is just reporting what it's seeing in terms of low-level
PDF output. It is the LaTeX macros that need to avoid the issue. And as
I recall, that is not even possible in all cases.

You can report it at https://github.com/latex3/latex2e/issues, but your
document is very complicated. They may not be able to debug the
problem. If there is any way you can cut it down to something smaller
that still has the problem, that would surely help.

    And I cannot use dvips with this code because there is problem with
    package babel.

I don't understand how babel plays into this. But if you're seeing a bug
in babel, please report it at https://github.com/latex3/babel/issues.

FWIW, when I run latex+latex+dvips+ps2pdf, I get a 295 page pdf in
Russian that looks ok. Not that I know Russian or have any idea what I'm
looking at :).

I tried running dvipdfmx, but your .dvi has many PostScript specials, so
that doesn't work. I don't know where they came from. But maybe if you
tell whatever graphics/other package that you're using dvipdfmx, you
could get a pdf out that way. --best wishes, karl.