[pdftex] Tweaking pdf outputs to produce one box per word.

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Sat Jul 3 03:33:44 CEST 2010

Hi CFP,

On 02/07/2010, at 6:08 PM, CFP wrote:

>> To test this theory, please try the attached PDF which *does* have space
>> characters to define word-boundaries. Indeed it has full PDF tagging of
>> structure, including the mathematics.
>> It would be very interesting to see what your e-reader does with it.
> Woa, it works perfectly!

Excellent.
Now, does your e-reader do reflow --- that is, if you
change the window-size or blow up the size of the text,
can you make the text reflow to fit snugly within the
new width?

What happens to the mathematics?

Can you send screen-shots to show the result?

> How did you generate this document?

It was done with an extension of pdfTeX that is not yet
generally available.

I just gave a talk about what it can do, at the TUG meeting
this week. Thus it is appropriate to test what happens
to the documents that it can create, when viewed with some
of the latest technology applications.

iPod & iPad apps have been rather disappointing, but maybe
your e-reader implements some things differently.

Attached is another PDF, having just mathematics.