[pdftex] Help using movie15 to incorporate SVG into PDF

Michael Malak mmalak at alum.mit.edu
Tue May 5 02:44:05 CEST 2009

Has anyone had any success using the movie15 package (or anything else)
to include an SVG picture into a PDF file?  This seems like a nice
simple way to put an interactive illustration into a document produced
by TeX; but it doesn't seem to work.  PdfLaTeX _was_ able to
successfully include the following SVG file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN"
          "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">
<svg width="1in" height="1in" version="1.1"
      xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
     <circle cx="0.5in" cy="0.5in" r="0.5in" fill="blue"/>
</svg>

using the following LaTeX file:

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\pdfcompresslevel 0 % To allow me to read the PDF
\usepackage{movie15}
\pagestyle{empty}
\fboxsep 0 pt % To show where the SVG picture is
\begin{document}
\fbox{\includemovie[mimetype=image/svg+xml]{1 in}{1 in}{circle.svg}}
\end{document}

But when I open the resulting PDF in Acrobat Professional 8.1.4 on
WinXP, I do not see the blue circle inside the fbox.

Clicking when the hand cursor is near the edge of the fbox and when a
popup displays the file name and mime type, yields the following error
message:

	There was a problem reading this document (14).

Mousing over the fbox, the cursor turns into the pointing finger, but
clicking there opens the Multimedia Player Finder window, which leads to
  an unhelpful download page for plugins for Acrobat 6.0.

Acrobat _is_ able to correctly view the SVG-within-PDF samples in
http://www.kevlindev.com/utilities/svg_into_pdf/svg_into_pdf.zip, so I
suspect that the problem is not with Acrobat but with the embedding
process; but I don't know how to diagnose it further.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike Malak