[pdftex] Incorrect pdf produced from a single correct pdf file

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
Tue Oct 7 00:15:36 CEST 2008

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Olivier Cailloux wrote:

> Although my specific problem is now solved, I still think there is a
> bug somewhere in pdftex, or in a library used by pdftex on my system,
> or something like that. If someone wants to investigate, I am still
> ready to provide any information.

pdftosrc can extract the stream from object no. 38 in RMItd24.pdf
pdftosrc can _not_ extract the stream from object no. 1 in RMI24-tex.pdf

but both objects are bit-identical! how can this be?

one indication might be, just found:

$ pdftk RMItd24.pdf output kk.pdf uncompress
Error: Failed to open PDF file:
   RMItd24.pdf
   OWNER PASSWORD REQUIRED, but not given (or incorrect)
Errors encountered.  No output created.
Done.  Input errors, so no output created.

So RMItd24.pdf seems to be an encrypted file, and these can't be handled
by pdftex. The more i wonder why one can extract the object stream no.
38 from RMItd24.pdf without problems using pdftosrc? This could mean
that in RMItd24.pdf it works somehow without password, but the relevant
info for decryption in RMItd24.pdf is not carried over into
RMI24-tex.pdf. Then, why does it work ok on most systems? There might be
some decrypt-handling flag in the xpdf library that might be set or not
depending on compilation? Weird.

Regards, Hartmut