[pdftex] pdftex Digest, Vol 42, Issue 3

John R. Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Jul 21 00:52:17 CEST 2006

On Saturday 15 July 2006 16:37, Victor Ivrii wrote:
> On 7/15/06, ivo welch <ivowel at gmail.com> wrote:
> > hi victor:  it works for simple files, but is not what I
> > suggested.  With attachfile, I have to specify each file that
> > is to be included.  it does not follow \include, \input, by
> > itself as it is processed.  I could overload these, but then
> > I have to make sure to honor \includefile, etc.
>
> Surely attachfile does not read attached files since this could
> be file of any nature.  However it would be not extremely
> difficult to write a script going along \include tree (careful
> with \input since it could refer to some very standard files)
> So it could be possible to write a package {attachsources}.
>
> There is another problem: should comments be filtered out?
> There could be comments one would like to keep private.
>
> Many years ago M$W had "fast save" command which saved not the
> new file but the old one + patches. As the result opening M$W
> file with other text editor one could see the history of the
> creation of the document which is usually not what the author
> wanted.
>
> So attaching source should be definitely an option which the
> author should confirm (at least)
>
> > regards,
> >
> > /iaw

In my brief exposure to Univac mainframes many decades ago the
program editor kept previous editions on record by keeping
reverse delta files. You could back up one, two three or more
saved versions by causing the editor to apply the deltas
sequentially.

I always thought this was a useful feature for source files. But
it is as has been mentioned a no-no in most cases for documents.
I seem to remember getting local government announcements in MSW
doc form wwere one could browse the history of the document, and
see what bowdlerization ocurred in the review process :<)

--

John Culleton Able Indexing and Typesetting Precision typesetting
(tm) at reasonable cost.  Satisfaction guaranteed.