[pdftex] Names of not embedded fonts

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at web.de
Sun Jan 15 15:06:26 CET 2006

Hi,

I have recently played around with not embedding certain fonts into the
PDF file and found some anormality. I am using pdfeTeX from teTeX 3.0,
ie, version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4).

Consider the following LateX file:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\pdfmapline{=ecrm1000 SFRM1000 32 "T1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <cm-super-t1.enc sfrm1000.pfb}
\begin{document}
$a$
\end{document}
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

If I compile it without the \pdfmapline, all fonts are embedded and
pdffonts tells me:

name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
ECXVNW+SFRM1000                      Type 1       yes yes no       6  0
GRYGJF+CMMI10                        Type 1       yes yes no       9  0

With the \pdfmapline but without the '$a$', the only remaining font is
not embedded and correctly named:

name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
SFRM1000                             Type 1       no  no  no       5  0

If I compile the file as quoted above, pdffonts tells me:

name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
CMMI10                               Type 1       no  no  no       5  0
VAMXER+CMMI10                        Type 1       yes yes no       8  0

It looks as if SFRM1000 is not embedded, but named after the embedded
CMMI10. Even if SFRM1000 is known to the PDF viewer, it can't be
recognized.

Is it possible to embed only some fonts and have the not embedded fonts
correctly named?

cheerio
ralf