[pdftex] autoload in \pdfadjustspacing crashes pdftex

Ulrich Dirr ud at art-satz.de
Mon Jun 14 06:42:35 CEST 2004

Oliver Jennrich wrote:
> I'm just trying to play around with the font expansion feature of
> pdfTeX ad encounter seemingly unsurmountable problems even before I
> really start.
>
> Trying the minimal example as given by Thanh
> (http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-pdftex/2004-May/000504.html)
>
> \pdffontexpand\font 20 20 5 autoexpand
> \pdfadjustspacing 2
>
> Lore ipsum ...
> \bye
>
> with pdf(e)TeX results in a crash of the program. No error message,
no
> entry in the logfile, nothing.
>
> Removing the "autoload" helps - the expanded/shrunken fonts are
used,
> provided I created them beforehand. However, I thought that autoload
> would free me from that. Did I get the concept wrong?
>
> pdftex is:
> $ pdftex --version
> MiKTeX-pdfTeX 2.4.1603 (1.20a-rc4) (MiKTeX 2.4)
> Copyright (C) 1982 D. E. Knuth, (C) 1996-2002 Han The Thanh
> TeX is a trademark of the American Mathematical Society.
>
> Any ideas?

Besides what I've already written in ctt you should also try the
binaries from Thanh on http://pdftex.sarovar.org/. In addition you can
try the standalone version of fptex by Fabrice. Both versions didn't
produce the reported behavior, and if they work for you then it's
definitely a MikTeX problem which should be addressed to the author of
MikTeX.

Best regards,
Ulrich Dirr