[pdftex] autoload in \pdfadjustspacing crashes pdftex

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Jun 14 02:35:10 CEST 2004

    > I'm just trying to play around with the font expansion feature
    > of pdfTeX ad encounter seemingly unsurmountable problems even
    > before I really start.

    > Trying the minimal example as given by Thanh
    > (http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-pdftex/2004-May/000504.html)

    > \pdffontexpand\font 20 20 5 autoexpand \pdfadjustspacing 2

    > Lore ipsum ...  \bye

    > with pdf(e)TeX results in a crash of the program. No error
    > message, no entry in the logfile, nothing.

    > Removing the "autoload" helps - the expanded/shrunken fonts are
    > used, provided I created them beforehand. However, I thought
    > that autoload would free me from that. Did I get the concept
    > wrong?

You certainly mean "autoexpand" instead of "autoload".

autoexpand works for me under teTeX/Linux as expected.  I do not have
to create any tfm files.  So the problem is obviously not pdftex
related.

Maybe you should inform the MikTeX people.

BTW, if a program crashes without an error message, then there is a
bug in the program which should be fixed anyway.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25