[pdftex] early availability of pdf output?

ivo welch ivo.welch at yale.edu
Tue Jan 13 03:25:46 CET 2004

hi reinhard:  thanks for pointing me there.  actually, the pdftex manual
does have a really nice explanation of .pdf.  I now actually have a clue
of what I am using!   and, yes, of course, I use includeonly, which
makes my life generally liveable.  unfortunately, when I have to
rearrange chapters to look at .toc's (as I have to do right now), this
is not as useful.

I started to read the adobe stuff about linearized postscript, but then
realized that it is too complex for me.  For curiosity: does the
linearization header have to be complete, or can it be partial?  (If
partial xref headers are ok, there would be easy solutions.  I presume I
really need only the FontFile stream available immediately [if the other
stuff, like highlighting, is not 100% correct [like a .toc is not
correct on the first run], its ok], which could be extracted from
previously written files (\jobname.pdfxrefs), and just prepended.)  But,
pdf linearization has been rehashed to death, so I would presume that
the answer is no.

thanks, reinhard.

regards,  /ivo