[pdftex] early availability of pdf output?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jan 13 01:47:14 CET 2004

    > but it would be nicer if during the
    > second run, I could take a look at the first 30 pages while
    > pdflatex is working on pages 60-400.

This is not possible.  You need linearized pdf at least.  The reason
is that pdfTeX puts the object table (and fonts) to the end of the
file.  This is necessary if you want to produce huge files with a
limited amount of memory.

If you want to know what pdf is,  look at the pdfTeX manual.  There is
an example pdf file on the title page which is discussed on the
following pages.  You'll certainly never find a better introduction.

You can save a lot of time if you don't compile the whole book
again and again.  I suppose that you have split the document into
several files which are loaded by LaTeX's \include command.

Then you can put into the preamble:

     \includeonly{introduction,results}

to get the files "introduction.tex" and "results.tex" compiled.

The pdf file will only contain these chapters but I think that this is
sufficient for proof-reading.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25