[pdftex] early availability of pdf output?

ivo welch ivo.welch at yale.edu
Mon Jan 12 21:40:15 CET 2004

I know that pdftex cannot create linearized output, but would there be
any way to get pdftex to flush its output in a digestible form to an
acrobat reader, even if it is somewhat fudged?  I am using pdflatex to
create my book, and am in the book organizing stage, with some sections
written, others not.  so, I have around 400 pages.  I move around some
sections, and then want to read over the toc .  alas, to get the current
toc, I need to pdflatex twice, but it would be nicer if during the
second run, I could take a look at the first 30 pages while pdflatex is
working on pages 60-400.  I know the answer is probably "no," but I hope
this is worth asking.  thanks for any comments.  /iaw