[pdftex] Fast Web View

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 9 11:10:49 CET 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, the_shelter wrote:

> Hello Dan,
>
> Thursday, January 08, 2004, 10:07:22 PM, you wrote:
>
> DF> I'd like to produce a PDF enabling "fast web view" option.
>
> DF> Does anyone have a solution at hand?
>
> DF> Thanks in advance.
> DF> Daniel Espinosa
>
> I am aware that the just released Jaws PDF Creator 3.3 has it now on
> it's features list.(http://www.jawspdf.com/pdf_creator/index.html)
> Their pdf library i.e. is used in One Vision's preflight software, so
> has proven to be among the best libraries when it comes to
> reading/ interpreting.
> As far as I know there is currently no effort in any tex project to
> integrate this (but I'd be more that happy if I am wrong in this ;) ).
> Hope this helps a little,

It is commercial, right?  And Windows/MacOS only, right? If you allow
commercial solutions and just those platforms, Acrobat is the de facto
standard, and the one I normally use when on an OS it supports.

`Fast web view' used to be known as `optimized' or `linearized' PDF.
Recent versions of ghostscript (>= 6.20) can linearize PDF, and I am happy
for this to be a separate processing step.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk