[pdftex] How to get pdflatex to embed and subset ALL fonts?

Jeffrey McArthur jeffmcarthur at comcast.net
Mon Feb 16 20:46:24 CET 2004

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 14:31:13 +0100, you wrote:

>There should be absolutely no reason to keep an old version of teTeX.
>If I'm wrong, let me know.

I know we are a bit unusual, but we must have a dozen different versions of
various implementations of TeX for the PC. We develop turn key solutions
using TeX. For example, at one time we developed a system using version 1.0
of Y&Y TeX. I remember trying to order more copies of version 1.0 of Y&Y TeX
and being told they didn't have any more versions in stock. The effort to
upgrade can be daunting. We have a couple of systems that have version 0.14e
of PDFTeX. Upgrading them would probably require flying to Ohio and manually
making the changes. The client sees no advantage in upgrading and won't pay
for our time, so we don't do it.

The other thing we do is generally delete all the LaTeX specific stuff,
since we don't use any of that and it takes up a lot of disk space. If you
are a Plain TeX user, like we are, then a "full" installation of TeX is only
a couple of meg. So why not keep a lot of versions, disk space is cheep. We
also don't use the TeX Directory Structure (TDS), but that is another topic.