[pdftex] How to get pdflatex to embed and subset ALL fonts?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 16 21:26:13 CET 2004

i had always wondered what you guys did...  (i suppose there's a paper
in some old tugboat i've missed.)

anyway

>  We have a couple of systems that have version 0.14e
> of PDFTeX. Upgrading them would probably require flying to Ohio and manually
> making the changes. The client sees no advantage in upgrading and won't pay
> for our time, so we don't do it.

i fear you may find your clients wanting an upgrade of that sometime
pretty soon.

we generate exam papers in plain tex, and (now) put them on the web[*]
in pdf (used to be dvi, but the ickle kiddies complained)

the current set were done with pdftex 0.14f.  we have a new student
administrator, so we regrooved her machine; and we've recently found
that she can't print any of the exam papers ... the acrobat reader 6 she
has doesn't cope.

the thing that gets up my nose about pdf from such an old pdftex is the
failure with "fit visible" viewing.

robin

[*] as the students come out of the last exam of any given year.