[pdftex] support for PNG alpha channel

Martin Schroeder ms at artcom-gmbh.de
Fri Sep 13 01:18:03 CEST 2002

On 2002-09-12 15:03:12 -0400, Maciej Kalisiak wrote:
> Skimming the archives for this list I see a few postings which say that
> support for PNG alpha channel, even just basic transparency, are not yet
> implemented.  My experience with the version of "pdflatex" I have seems

Yes. Alpha channel in PDF needs PDF 1.4, and pdftex is only
slowly getting there.

> to suggest that this is still the case.  Is this so, and are there any
> plans for including this functionality in the near future?  Also, are

AFIK no one is working on transparency from PNG. Transparency
from included PDF will work partely in pdftex 1.10a; generating
PDFs with transparency is already possible with (ConTeXt and)
MetaPost.

Best regards
    Martin
--
               Martin Schröder, MS at ArtCom-GmbH.DE
          ArtCom GmbH, Grazer Straße 8, D-28359 Bremen