[pdftex] PDF image included in PDF: colour messed up

Maciej Kalisiak mac at cs.toronto.edu
Thu Sep 12 16:26:28 CEST 2002

I'm getting bizarre colour distortion when I include a PDF containing a
colourful image into a master PDF file.  See

http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/~mac/bugs/pdftex/triangle-src.png
http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/~mac/bugs/pdftex/triangle-final.png

(the first, source image contains a triangle which blends three
 gradients, one from each corner of the triangle; when included in a PDF
 using "pdflatex", both "acroread" and "xpdf" show it embedded with the
 colours mixed up, as seen in second picture)

Using "pdflatex":
    This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00a-pretest-20011114-ojmw (Web2C 7.3.7)

Workflow:
    - create triangle PNG in gimp
    - png used in an XFig figure
    - fig exported as a PDF
    - (this PDF looks fine under all PDF viewers, at this point in time)
    - included in a LaTeX file using
	\includegraphics{foo.pdf}
    - master PDF made using "pdflatex foo.tex"
    - (acroread and xpdf now both show the triangle in master PDF with
      messed up colors)

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?  It seems as if the image
is being shown in indexed mode using a wrong colormap.

--
Maciej Kalisiak       mac "at" dgp.toronto.edu       www.dgp.toronto.edu/~mac