[pdftex] square root in metapost

margarida margarid at ime.unicamp.br
Fri Mar 2 11:16:01 CET 2001

Hi,

thank you very much for the help. The \string solution worked out well.
Unfortunately I don't know of a context version for the Macintosh and am not
knowledgeable enough to create one from the source, so I can't use the second
suggestion. One thing I noticed is that if I run epstodpf on the ps file
created by metapost I loose the text. Is there a workaround for this problem?

Best regards,

Margarida

Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 06:53 PM 2/23/01 -0300, margarida wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am having trouble including the square root symbol in a
> >metapost picture. If I process the picture in metapost  by
> >itself, everything works fine. The troble arises when trying
> >to use pdflatex to process the metapost commands directly as
> >in the error.tex file below
>
> Looks like unwanted expansion. You can try \string\sqrt and \string\frac in
> you example.
>
> >Without the square root text the file runs OK.  Any help is
> >appreciated.
>
> If you have a bit recent version of context, you can say:
>
> \starttext
>
> \setupMPpage[offset=1pt]
>
> \startMPpage
>   label.lft (btex $\displaystyle \frac{a-b}{2}$ etex, (1cm,0)) ;
>   label.top (btex $\sqrt{ab}$                   etex, (3cm,0)) ;
> \stopMPpage
>
> \stoptext
>
> and get a stand alone graphic, that can be included in latex. (more on that
> in the mtafun manual).
>
> I will send you the pdf off list
>
> Hans

>                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl
>                       Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>  tel: +31 (0)38 477 53 69 | fax: +31 (0)38 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

 Margarida P. Mello              Dept. of Applied Math.
 Tel.: +55 19 3289-4547 (home)     IMECC - Unicamp
       +55 19 3788-5966 (work)
 Fax:  +55 19 3289-1466
 e-mail: margarid at ime.unicamp.br