[pdftex] AR 5 PS pb.

Thierry Bouche Thierry.Bouche at ujf-grenoble.fr
Wed Jun 6 18:10:50 CEST 2001

I'm wondering whether the way pdftex embeds fonts is sooo abnormal. On
the other hand, I'm quite confident that the way AR5 outputs fonts is
bad.

I do the following: open a pdftex generated file in Acrobat 4, print
it to distiller 5: this makes a similar PDF (slightly larger although
the hyperthings have been stripped) which will now print from AR 5.

(my test files don't use CM/AMS... fonts, just plain PS fonts)

So a relatively stable workaround is to have two versions of the PDF:
one straight from pdftex, with printing forbidden, and a print version
made as above. The obvious advantage is that you can tune the layout
if you do two versions. The obvious disadvantage being the amount of
work involved...

The strange thing is that the fonts appear in the font info menu with
their prefix (AUTX+Sabon...), which distiller 5 wouldn't do...

Th. Bouche