[pdftex] font expansion

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Jun 6 17:22:18 CEST 2001

At 09:15 PM 6/6/01 +0800, Guy Worthington wrote:
>After putting executable scripts mktextfm, mktextfm.ext, mktfm8z, and
>mktfm8z from  ftp://ftp.cstug.cz/pub/tex/local/cstug/thanh/pdftex/ext
>into my /usr/local/bin directory, I added the line
>
>\pdffontexpand\font 20 20 5 1000  %cmr10
>
>to a TeX file and processed it with pdfetex (3.14159-0.14f).
>
>Although I didn't see the dramatic improvements demonstrated in the
>'pseudo hz' online document at http://www.pragma-ade.com/pdftex.htm,
>the printed page does look "greyer".  One negative side effect of the
>font expansion, is that some combinations of letters, e.g. 'es', 'ss',
>and 'se', look poor when the font shrinks, while other combinations
>e.g. 'od', 'om', and 'ob' look poor when the font expands.
>
>I was hoping to lay my hands on an efcode file minimizes the side effect
>of font expansion.
>
>While I'm exploiting the generosity of this NG, if there is a tool
>which can analyse a pdf file and tell me where glyphs have stretched.

i've got an -in itself interesting- trick to visualize this in color; i'll
send you an example off-list. [i can post it at our site if there is more
interest in it]; also, when such a tool is needed, and you are willing to
install context to visualize efcode settings, i can clean/document up the
tex code and put it into a module (rather trivial code btw once you know
the trick).

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl