[pdftex] pdftex compression -- proposed addition to manual

White, George WhiteG at mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Mon Aug 27 09:52:02 CEST 2001

I agree that the pdftex FAQ should provide a brief discussion of compression
with
pointers to more detailed information.  There used to be a good overview of
image
formats on a WWW server at Los Alamos National Lab, but I haven't seen any
good
single source recently, so I'll keep looking.  In any case, the key points
for the FAQ
should include:

1.  pdftex does not eliminate the need for a proper image manipulation tool:
for best
     results it will be safest to convert individual images to PDF.
2.  consider altering image color model and resolution as well as the type
of compression
     (or even converting between line art and image form -- each has
advantages in certain
     situations)
3.  digital image storage and processing is a rapidly evolving field, so
expect new and
     better algorithms to appear and make their way into PDF in the future.

	[White, George]
	Don't forget that jpeg supports variable compression levels.  You
can't really
	talk about an "optimal" level without knowing more about the uses to
which a
	document will be put and the characteristics of the image.