[pdftex] pdftex compliance..

Y&Y Support support at yandy.com
Sun Aug 5 11:11:55 CEST 2001

At 13:43 2001-08-05 +0200, Martin Schröder wrote:
>On 2001-08-04 18:19:47 -0400, K. R. Subramanian wrote:
> > This is with regard to doing NSF proposals using pdflatex. Is the following
> > from NSF Fastlane Help Desk
> > true? I would have thought that using conversion tools to go from
> dvi-ps-pdf
>
>PDF compliance is normally tested by putting the PDF through some
>PDF comsuming application, i.e. normally Adobe Acrobat or through
>a PDF normalizer. I know of no problems the current pdfTeX causes
>there, although some PDF RIPs have problems with PDF produced by
>pdfTeX.

You can, however, see how they would be nervous about that,
given that PDF produced by pdfTeX could not be printed
from Acrobat Reader 5.0 to a PostScript printer.  This is the
kind of issue they are concerned about.

There have been other such problems with other PDF
generating software in the past (except with Distiller).

>[...]
>
> > > if you are using it you should be very careful to test the printing
> of your
> > > entire proposal as it can cause concatenation errors when we attempt
> to put
> > > the entire proposal together.  Thank you.
>
>Could they elaborate on this? Sounds like a problem with the
>RIP when imposing PDFs...

http://www.yandy.com/acrobat5.htm

multipart/alternative
  text/html