[pdftex] pdftex compliance..

Tom Kacvinsky tjk at ams.org
Sun Aug 5 13:01:57 CEST 2001

Hi,

On Sun, 5 Aug 2001, Y&Y Support wrote:

> At 13:43 2001-08-05 +0200, Martin Schröder wrote:
>
> > On 2001-08-04 18:19:47 -0400, K. R. Subramanian wrote:
> >
> > > This is with regard to doing NSF proposals using pdflatex. Is the
> > > following from NSF Fastlane Help Desk true? I would have thought that
> > > using conversion tools to go from dvi-ps-pdf
> >
> > PDF compliance is normally tested by putting the PDF through some PDF
> > comsuming application, i.e. normally Adobe Acrobat or through a PDF
> > normalizer. I know of no problems the current pdfTeX causes there,
> > although some PDF RIPs have problems with PDF produced by pdfTeX.
>
> You can, however, see how they would be nervous about that, given that
> PDF produced by pdfTeX could not be printed from Acrobat Reader 5.0 to a
> PostScript printer.  This is the kind of issue they are concerned about.

Well, it is one issue -- this particular issue would come up when someone
at the NSF would try to print the proposal using Acrobat 5.0.

However, the problem that Gray Wlker from the NSF was talking about had to
do with concatenating PDF files.  And they most likely are NOT using
Acrobat 5.0 technology to do this.