page size / position

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Dec 1 16:10:12 CET 1998

Jiri Osoba wrote:

> On  1 Dec 98 at 13:26, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
> > Wolfram Liebchen wrote:
> >
> > > For the page size, I can use \pdfpagewidth and \pdfpageheight.
> > > What's the respective instruction for the origin? I didn't
> > > find it in the pdftex manual.
> >
> > \hoffset and \voffset
>
> That's not true - point \hoffset=0,\voffset=0 is horigin and vorigin
> far from upper-left corner of the page. The problem is that this
> point should be (as you can read in The TeXbook) 1in down and 1in

Not *should* be, otherwise it should be fixed values. Most dvi drivers
expect it to be 1in,1in, but pdftex is no dvi driver.

> right from upper-left corner of the paper. This is true if you
> specify horigin=1in and vorigin=1in AND MAG=1000. If you specify any
> mag different from 1000, you will get different "1in" margins. And
> that is the problem, I thing. Horigin and vorigin sould be
> read WITHOUT applying mag.

I fear that in the pdf(tex) environment mag does not make that much
sense anymore -)
if only because there are too many positiona/dimensional thing taken
care of outside the tex engine, i.e. in pdfliterals, images, annotations
etc.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
    tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | mail: pragma at wxs.nl