[OzTeX] Can't find screen fonts

Richard McGraw rmcgraw at 9online.fr
Thu Apr 21 14:34:26 CEST 2005

On Apr 03 2005, at 1:54, Andrew Trevorrow wrote:

>> can anyone help about the following problem ?
>>
>> OzTex 5.2 on OS 10.3 when started for the first time in weeks,
>> can't find many screen fonts -- at least all '%cm...' fonts.
>> The visible CM and AMS fonts by Selwyn Hollis are installed in
>> ~/Library/Fonts.
>
> I have Selwyn's various .dfont files (CM_1.dfont etc) in a "CM and
> AMS" subfolder
> in ~/Library/Fonts.  Is that what you do?

Yes, exactly. Never done otherwise on OS X.

> Do you see the CM fonts in OzTeX's Edit > Font submenu?  If they are
> installed
> correctly then you should see CMB10, CMBSY10 etc in that menu.
>
> If you open Applications/Font Book you should see Computer Modern
> listed
> with lots of typefaces (all called Regular, which is a bit annoying).

The problem was that fonts installed in my ~/Library/Fonts were not
taken into
account by any app, and the User collection in FontBook was disabled.

>> OzTeX loads the 'Add Outline Fonts' files from the OzTeX distribution.
>
> Good.
>
>> The manual tells us that it's ok to request screen fonts by names
>> which start with
>> a percent sign even if the non-hidden fonts are installed,
>
> That's correct (and true for my system).
>
>> and i don't know
>> what could have changed in the system to result in this behaviour.
>
> Could be some sort of system cache bug.  Maybe try removing the CM and
> AMS fonts
> from ~/Library/Fonts, reboot (or just log out and in) and re-install
> the fonts.
> Please let us know if you find a fix.

Well, i did not find anything interesting.
All of a sudden things are back to normal: the User collection is
enabled in FontBook.
I don't know what happened: maybe just some permissions problem ...

Thanks for your help,

-- Richard